Lithium-ion Batteries & security : 10 must-know
Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) batteries have become a must-have. Their high energy density gives them well-known advantages in terms of weight and volume. Other advantages such as their lifespan in cycling, their low self-discharge allow to develop many applications for different sectors of activity.
The cell contains flammable products such as organic solvents. If the battery is improperly stored or misused, it can cause a fire, smoke, or explosion. Not only will the performance of the battery be seriously damaged, but the consequences can be quite dramatic.
Discover our Lithium-ion range in partnership with PANASONIC and MURATA ➡
To ensure your safety and battery safety, we recommend that you follow these recommendations:
- “Do not immerse the battery with liquid such as water, sea water or soda.”The battery or the battery pack (including protection circuit) may catch on fire, smoke, explode, or cause heat generation by unexpected electrical load.
- “Do not use or place the battery near fire, a heater or a high temperature (more than 60℃).” The battery’s polyolefin separator may get damaged from the heat and could cause an internal short circuit.
- “Do not use unauthorized chargers.” If the battery is charged under unacceptable conditions (For example: usage in restricted temperature ranges, over voltage, or over current with unauthorized chargers) the battery may catch on fire, smoke, explode, or cause heat generation.
- “Do not force a reverse-charge or a reverse-connection.” The battery has correct polarity. If the battery does not fit, please check the battery’s orientation, and do not force into the battery mount.
- “Do not connect the battery with AC plug (outlet) or car plugs.” The battery requires a specific charger. If the battery connects with the outlet directly, the battery may catch on fire, smoke, explode, or cause heat generation.
- “Avoid unnecessary impact to the battery” Unnecessary impact may cause the battery to leak, heat generation, smoke, fire or explode. Also, the protection circuit may break and that will lose the function of the battery’s protection system.
- « Do not use abnormal batteries.” Please stop using the battery if there are noticeable abnormalities such as abnormal smell, heat, deformities, or discoloration.
- “Do not use the battery in a place where static electricity is generated (take into account CE standards: 100V: 4KV on contact and -8KV in the air)” The battery pack has a protection circuit. Do not use the battery where it generates static electricity (more than 100V) that might damage the protection circuit.
- “Do not disassemble the battery” If the protection circuit gets damaged, the battery will not be protected. Then, the battery may catch on fire, smoke, explode, or cause heat generation.
- « For extended storage, prefer an average charge state (mid-load), and a controlled temperature (20 -25°C) »
Your battery will keep its performance better if it is not stored fully charged, and at a temperature of around 20°C.
- “Refer to the instructions for the equipment for using your battery”
Manufacturers give you the most appropriate indications for the proper use of the associated battery.
ARTS Energy: custom tailor-made batteries
Thanks to our partners PANASONIC and MURATA, we have access to a very wide range of batteries, as well as full technical support. Several technologies are accessible with each of its specificities and advantages.
To ensure battery safety, contact us to discuss the application design from a mechanical and/or electrical point of view. Especially if there are special conditions such as: strong discharge current, fast charge, or specific use. Our experts will support you to ensure you a battery adapted to your need and secure.
Need any other details ? Contact us by this online form, we will respond to you within 48 hours!